The last big Canon announcement was the low end Entry Level dSLR â€“ EOS 500D / Rebel T1i â€“ 15 Megapixels, now they have changed things up a bit and come out with a direct competitor to the Nikon D300/D300s.
- 18MP APS-C CMOS sensor
- 8 frames per second continuous shooting
- 1080p HD video recording with manual controls
- 3.0 inch Clear View II LCD screen with 920,000 dots
- 19-point AF system (all cross-type)
- 1.0x magnification and 100% coverage viewfinder
- Wireless flash control
- Environmental sealing
It’s quite a beast, especially with 18megapixels, I think Canon finally released their 40/50D couldn’t compete with the Nikon D300 and now the D300s, so they had to step up their game.
Now they have with a high end APS-C (crop sensor) model in their line-up with dual Digic IV processors.
The full hands on preview is here:
You can find sample images here: